Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas '08

We managed to get Christmas food shopping done in under an hour. Could be because mom got sick and I went to the supermarket with dad alone - less time spent on arguing, as it's kinda hard to argue when you don't have much to say to each other. I think we both took some pleasure in our efficiency though.

I saw a packet of dried beets, which gave me pause. I also learned that my mind is immune to the concept of buying prunes. It just shut down and I grabbed whatever caught my eye with nary a conscious thought. And so, on the first attempt I came back to my preplexed father with some dried apples, then I presented him with a jar of French toffee, and finally I came back empty-handed after performing a totally cartoonish halt-and-head-swivel after some random guy my autopilot glimpsed peripherally and decided he warranted further inspection. It was so obviously earnest I could have safely made an "oh I thought you were someone else" face, or performed some other evasive manouver. Except I was - as I've already mentioned - in a prune-induced coma, so I just stared blankly for a moment and went on my way.

I managed to get my mother the perfume she wanted, but the book I had planned on giving my father was nowhere to be found. Finally, before embarking on another hunting mission, I asked him if there was something in particular he wanted to get this Christmas, in case I failed, to which my family replied that they'll just package something from my dad's bookshelf in festive wrapping paper for the sake of appearances (i.e. - the uncle), and I can get the book after the shopping frenzy subsides. I think it's a good estimate of how vibrant the holiday spirit is in our household.

But maybe that's the secret to a calm and pleasant Christmas, cause I definitely enjoyed ours this year. I ate my weight in smoked salmon, watched a lot of Undeclared (which is HILARIOUS), and played entirely too much WoW. I also neglected to get any work done, and find that fact simply awesome.

Apart from that, I feel a bit like the last stand of a drainpipe clog - almost completely flushed, but still hanging on by a tampon thread. Monika came back home for the holidays and I'd hoped to be unclogged, one way or the other, by the time we got to talk, but I guess it was not meant to be. A fan of international postal service I am not.

It's kind of funny that I had about 2 weeks' worth of candidness in me, after switching to this blog, and then instantly reverted to unwieldly obfuscation. I guess it's not the venue, but the audience that counts.

My name's not Anne, and I got no plan, but you still need to listen to this:


No comments: