Friday, January 16, 2009

Let's see...

I went to Cracow last weekend, to get my palate thoroughly cleansed. Mission accomplished. Almost miraculously so. I don't know if a change of scenery works every time - will have to try it out during the next system restore situation - but it feels like the trip snapped me right back into actually living my life, as opposed to making disgusted faces at it from a distance.

And I think Cracow itself might have had something to do with it. It really grew on me, and this time I felt quite comfortable there. Everything you need is within spitting distance - it feels like you can't throw a stone without it setting up a pub or a bar of some sort - and even if your hostess happens to live on the outskirts (next to a bog), the dreaded taxi fare is something, like, 30PLN. Which is pretty laughable if you've ever had to haul your ass out of Kabaty.

The company didn't hurt either. I got a tour of the Kropka HQ, and even took a picture of Piotr's highly organized cassette collection (four boxes labelled: Stuff, Various, Crap, and DM - no idea what that stands for). I got to see Drewniak's flatmates' apartment*, and the broom closet she occupies in it. I was a bit confused when she made a point out of showing me that she does, indeed, have a window, until I got back home and Ana asked me about precisely that detail, pointing out that servants' quarters usually didn't have one. So I guess it was Drewniak's way of subtly informing me that she isn't the live-in help, and merely lives in comparable conditions. She also shared her highly traumatic Facebook story about how nobody wanted to send her an egg, or something, so finally she just sent one to herself, but got embarassed when she saw the news feed broadcast this plea for attention, and - trying to erase it - completed her humiliation by accidentally highfiving herself. I also remember her telling what I initially thought was a freaky pedophiliac story about Zanussi, and only after a few minutes realizing it was actually the plot of a movie with Zamachowski.

There was also non Drewniak-related stuff, but I've completely exhausted myself wrangling with the grammar on those turds up there. I'm seriously considering moving the everyday stuff back to Polish turf and saving this place for howling and pop culture. It's just SO gruelling.

* a deliberate distinction - read on

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

- dalej nie mogę uwierzyć, że nie wiesz, co to DM.
- nie "bog", tylko "wypasiony widok z okna".

Krigsrotte said...

death metal?

[the other possibility is too horrifying to contemplate.]