Monday, January 19, 2009

Frack this

After four seasons of Battlestar Galactica, whenever a character goes "Hey, did I ever tell you that excruciatingly drawn-out story from my childhood that'll inevitably serve as an allegory to what's going on right now?" my heart sinks a little bit more.

I realize all-out gloom and doom is proper form after your Promised Land turns out to be a barren wasteland (though seriously, if Jews and Mormons dealt with it, why can't Capricans?) but the ever-present pathos is just so grating. The only thing about the season premiere I actually enjoyed was Duala's story arc. The rest was like a study in Alzheimers: "God, I hate this character." "Oh no, he's still alive?" "Ack, I totally repressed this guy." But I'll see this series through to the end, because I know every season they have these 2-3 episodes that are absolutely awesome and almost make up for having to sit through one gruelling Chief storyline after another.

No comments: