Monday, January 12, 2009

ADD

For a while now I've been meaning to write about the new Elbow album everyone's been raving about - mainly because it merits some raving of my own. My entry point was The Bones of You, which I fell in love with at first listen, and I had all these things I wanted to write about it: how the imagery reminds me of Stakka Bo's Sunday, how I absolutely adore the lyrics, the sentiment, and the contrast in phrasing between the jiggsaw-y, irregular verse (especially the 2nd one) and the even-cut chorus, how my favorite moment is the "and I can't move my arm" line when he breaks out of the mold for a split second, shifting the emphasis to the penultimate syllable, and leaving said arm dangling limply...

But that was several days ago. Then I went to Cracow, and was cut off from the Internet. And on the train back home I totally fell in love with Audience with the Pope, and couldn't stop listening to it. And when I sat down at the computer, I had a brief chat with Karolina, and suddenly remembered how The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver totally reminds me of Engineers, so I found a clip on youtube to show her what I mean... and now I'm watching it over and over and over again. And you should too.



(It's ok to tear up a bit around the 3rd minute mark - you're only human.)

I guess what I'm saying is: go buy this record. It's like a box full of mini-crushes. The good ones.

No comments: