Monday, February 9, 2009

25 things

(pasted in from Facebook, for good measure)

1. I'm not big on casual physical contact - I reseve hugs for people I'm extremely happy to see/haven't seen in months, which means I mostly hug emigrants - and can get extremely annoyed when people paint it as a flaw.
2. I like to allocate my admiration to niches and tend to develop a vague dislike for anything that's grown too universally beloved before I get to it. Sujfan Stevens never had a chance.
3. I love the Moon. I could stare at it for hours.
4. I think Stephen Colbert might very well be the most charismatic person in the entertainment industry.
5. I was something of a child prodigy, but then quickly ended up a B- to C-grade student. The same happened with almost every new thing I tried (unless I sucked at it from the get-go). My life has beginner's luck written all over it.
6. I hate group sports, verbal exams, and simultaneous interpretation. Instant feedback terrifies me.
7. I really like the Polish 1997 Eurovision entry and that's as open about it as I'm willing to get.
8. I can't swim because as I was traumatized by the scary instructor lady during our mandatory swimming lessons in elementary school, and only went to two. I attempted to teach myself to swim in highschool, in a river at a friend's summer house, and managed to get the floating bit right just in time to get carried off by the current and almost drown - I had to be rescued. Haven't tried since.
9. I find translating from Polish to English much easier than doing it the other way around.
10. I wish I could dance and sing well. I only dance when drunk, but sing (or rather: warble) all the time. Go figure.
11. I never get tired of meeting cool new people, even though maintaining contact with them all became unfeasable a long time ago
12. As far as narrative is concerned, I'm usually not touched by personal, slice-of-life stories, but get really choked up about politics - especially international relations. The shot from "Elizabeth" with the Spanish ambassador with blood trickling from his slit throat haunts me to this day (in a good way).
13. I think I'm a born freelancer, because I seem to be pretty decent not spending too much and getting stuff done despite a lack of oversight.
14. I absolutely adore food. There are times when I actually get a mood boost when I remember I haven't eaten yet. Therefore, I actually can't remember what it's like to be slim.
15. I don't like group-watching movies I haven't already seen. The combined trauma of a bad movie experience shorts out my empathy circuits (unless it's a so-bad-it's good situation). That's why I usually show people films I already know to be good and get very frustrated when they lose focus just as a good scene is coming up.
16. I used to like cats, but then realized they too are attention-whores, and trigger some sort of latent retardation in their owners. Dude, I'm leaving in a few hours, this thing's here 24/7. I'm sure its awesome how it just moved from one place to another, but pay attention, a good scene is coming up.
17. For years and years I had this thing where at bedtime I had to close my eyes before the lights went out, as to not witness the transition from light to dark. Actually, I think I still do that.
18. In the morning, I brush my teeth in the shower, even though it's terribly unecological.
19. If everyone has a "thing" that they occasionally do when wasted - C.J. Cregg, for instance, does "The Jackal" (google it) - then mine is probably doing the background vocals on En Vogue's "Never Gonna Get It"
20. I used to hate travelling, but now find I really like it. However, my last four international trips consisted more or less of hanging out with the same bunch of people in different locations, so I fear I might still not like travelling itself - just the people involved.
21. I find Chris Evans to be unreasonably hot.
22. As a kid, I was desperate to have superpowers. In RPG video games, I always play spellcasters. I think it even seeped into my brief academic life - I wrote my thesis on the personal influence of certain individuals on a great historic event.
23. Also, sometimes I wish I could kill complete strangers with a thought.
24. My flat buzzer is the first one on our building's intercom thing, and for years the flat above ours was a notorious drunkard den, so all the local boozehounds would ring us to get into the building. Eventually, we just stopped answering, and only automatically buzzed in people who knew our secret signal. I've gotten so used to it that I now get confused and awkward when someone actually answers the intercom thing.
25. When I'm rich and famous I'll totally have a gigantic bathtub.

No comments: