Sunday, November 23, 2008

Georgetown stinks

That's not an expression. I think it's the rotting leaves from the trees that grow there (not sure about the species) - small, bright yellow, and reeking of shit.

We spent the entire Sunday walking around Washington, chanting "There are many things that make peepee sexy"*. We visisted the local flea market, had lunch at an All-American** diner, and repeatedly fell into the black hole of Urban Outfitters. Though I might be getting my chronology mixed up here - I just know I never want to set foot in that store again. Even if it did give us the brand name Fyaskoe, which is totally the new FAIL! (it's a Polish thing). Now that I think of it, much of that day was spent in various outlets, where Ana looked for the perfect outfit, while Bohdan and me sang along to whatever music was playing, until she had to drag us out to avoid further humiliation. Our specialty was R&B vocal gymnastics, honed to perfection in Abercrombie & Fitch.

We topped the day off with an evening stroll through Georgetown (for olfactory impressions - see title), which is ridiculously opulent, but not too offensive about it, and at times even homey - provided you ignore how much dough was allocated to the "make this shit feel homey" fund. Inspired by all the folks enjoying the finer side of life, on our way home we picked up some AA mac & cheese (vile!), and attempted to eat it watching The Soup and various incarnations of CSI. I'll bet you a molar that whenever you turn on your TV in America, you'll find at least one version of CSI playing on some channel. We actually tested it throughout our stay in the US (much to Bohdan's delight), and it never failed. Meanwhile, The Soup is awesome beyond belief - it's like a digest of the most ridiculous TV moments of the week (reality shows, news, daytime talk shows, etc.), so it's pretty much custom-made for me. I don't remember when I last laughed so hard, though now I only recall a handful of things: the gong commercial, some lady barking at people to interrupt them, and the immortal "And by record I mean... MY VAGINA!" - a phrase that immediately entered our vernacular.

Oh, The Soup, how I'm gonna miss you.

* a phrase we heard on TV, in a segment about the world's SEXIEST BEACHES, or somesuch. The correct spelling is "phi-phi", but that one still shouldn't have made it past editing

** or AA - this symbol will denote all the things I consider part of the American experience, as defined by "stuff I saw on TV"

No comments: