Sunday, November 23, 2008

Klugites

The bar was called Nellie's if I recall correctly, and it was pretty hilarious: crowded, lined with huge plasma screens showing various sporting events and some seriously homoerotic martial arts reality show (I think it's called The Ultimate Fighter, or something. It consists of sweaty half-naked guys hugging each other in a cage - apparently ultimate fighters spend most of their duels deadlocked. Which kind of makes sense, if they all are. Ultimate, I mean. Where was I?) and pictures of sporting teams from various championships. Basically the only way to tell it was a gay sports bar was to read the team names under the photos, as most seemed to go for the pun*.

But the main attractions were the people from Bohdan's scholarship program. It was loud, so I only got to talk to the ones in my immediate vicinity, but my cup still kind of overfloweth...ed. First, there was Vidhya, a hilarious, quick-witted, outspoken Indian chick, who (as we later learned) is totally into Buffy and Firefly, and who at one point got into an attitude-off with someone’s flatmate (gay talk-to-the-hand vs. ethnic oh-no-you-DIDN'T), complete with snapping fingers and The Zigzag Head Thing**. Then there was the impeccably dressed, gorgeous Natalie from the UK, who always spoke with this sort of melodic, slightly detached lilt ("naugh-TAY"), and seemed plucked straight from a modern-day Titania's entourage. Finally, there was Adam. And suddenly my trip to the US morphed into The Time I Met That Guy, Oh, And I Went to New York, Too. There are many ways of looking at it, and I think went through them all over the next couple of days, but most of that was still to come, and that evening was definitely one of the highlights of this entire escapade.

* okay, there was also a psychedelic cherub fresco on the ceiling

** you know what I mean

No comments: