Friday, February 19, 2010

Idoru

I've never fully embraced the whole Gaga phenomenon. I find her utterly hilarious at times, was somewhat content to learn that she seems to be very articulate and thoughtful, and for a few weeks I couldn't get Paparazzi out of my head, but that's about it. Enter this performance:



I'm still not sold on the music, and I suspect I might never be. But the truth is, I was completely hypnotized, especially during the 2nd part. It's like a scene taken straight out of The 5th Element, or some other over-stylized vision of the future. So completely otherworldly and performance-oriented... It's like she fast-forwarded a couple of hundred years and reached a point where showmanship is the substance.

I'm not saying there weren't great performers before her, that she's one of a kind, or anything like that. I'm not making any universal claims. But try watching the 2nd part of that clip and imagining the darkness beyond the stage is filled with extatic aliens. Wasn't difficult, was it?

No comments: