Saturday, October 25, 2008

Gaze into the crystal

For some reason I had no problems deciding where to post this one. I'll analyze that fact once I'm a wee bit more sober.

So, tonight I went to this... actually, I'm still not sure what it was exactly, but let's call it a dinner, as Darek's stand-in whatever. It was at his university professor's apartment, and from what I gathered it was supposed to be some sort of... once again, I can't even say for sure, but my impression was something along the lines of Dorothy Parker's salon for deviants - the university dude presiding over a menagerie of his "promising" students of the homosexual persiasion (and their stand-in whatevers, obviously). I know, sounds bizarre, but at the same time it was intriguing enough for me to give it a try, and frankly, I'm in no position to refuse attending a meeting of gay linguists with pop culture inclinations.

As it turned out, it was the university dude, his partner, their university friend, his insanely Hot Spanish Lovah (TM), who also works at the university, and some guy from TV. Plus me and Darek. Let me reiterate: well-to-do, accomplished intellectuals in their prime, and a faux-jailbait topping. For the life of me, I still can't figure out the evening's formula, but for the first hour or so I pretty much felt like some sort of exotic critter brought in for entertainment. No, scratch that: the exotic critter's stand-in whatever. Then I finally ingested enough wine to shut down my WTF node, and enjoyed myself immensely listening to stories about scornful Galician mother-in-laws and university politics.

The surreal feel of the entire situation was compounded by the fact that it all took place in this amazing apartment with an enormous balcony, leather furniture, loads of books and DVDs, and a gigantic flatscreen TV playing - I shit you not - Madonna videos. I really wish there were an emoticon for running your fingertips over your lips to make crazy-person sounds, cause that's exactly what I need to punctuate that sentence. It was just madness, and not the Spartan kind.

But at the same time, I had a lot of fun, and all those people seemed genuinely happy and at ease, and some even had Hot Spanish Lovahs (TM) (seriously, I'm not partial to that particular type, but God DAMN), and I found myself thinking: if this is my future, where's the fast-forward button.

Still, the highlight of the evening came when I was being driven home by Darek, listening to his playlist of Balkan abortion anthems and other such, when suddenly he went "guess what I have here though!", skipped several tracks, and on came Who Will Save Your Soul from VH1 Storytellers. By Jewel. Now, the hilarity of Darek listening to Jewel is probably lost on... well, just about everyone who doesn't know him, but I damn near peed my pants right there. Mostly with delight.

Yup. An evening to remember.

No comments: