Friday, August 5, 2011

Yeah


I was at my very funniest that year. This was not the Humor of Cure; it had nothing to do with the healing power of laughter. It was more of an airless, relentless kind of quippiness (...) Every time a complex human emotion threatened to break the surface of my consciousness, out would come some terrible cleverness.

I was Thanatos' rodeo clown. I still am. And Eros' as well, as it turns out. Years later, in a tender embrace in bed with my first real boyfriend, he said my name. "Oh, David." I stopped, sat up, and responded in my best Ed Wynn. "Yeeeesssssss???????" This kind of behavior more or less killed things between us.
David Rakoff, Fraud

Finished reading it. Waiting for the paperback version of Half Empty.

1 comment:

missorange said...

Zajebiste. Mam tylko impresję, że "this kind of behaviour" doesnt kill anything survivable