Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gulliver's Travels

(Previously called voyages, until I googled Gulliver to learn how his name was spelled).

Went to a small party tonight, full of circumstantial acquaintances at best. At one point a guy who as far as I know is a DJ and has nothing to do with translations reacted to something I said with "Oh yeah, I heard you're problematic profesionally". When pressed, the most diplomatic answer he could come up with was "Well, I mean, you're demanding." He wouldn't divulge any personal information, so I'm just gonna resent whoever the fuck I want for that little piece of gossip.

I returned home by cab. As I settled into the backseat, the driver asked me if I wanted to take Wolska or Kasprzaka. Disclaimer: I'm the shittiest Varsovian on record. I don't know anything about my home city's topography. I did remember checking the route on google maps before leaving home though, and the name "Wolska" popping up, so I just said that, in a confident voice, feeling very proud of myself.

The trial wasn't over though. After about 5 minutes, the driver went "But do you want me to actually drive into Plac Mirowski? Because then I'd have to take Grzybowska and turn around..." I mulled this over for a moment, and summoning all my cognitive powers, I asked if it was possible he took Solidarnosci, and then took a right turn into Orla, and then another one into Elektoralna (something I vaguely remember my father doing at one point). He went "Ok, we can do that."

It was all I could do to keep myself from demanding that we invade Finland next. I felt like the master of the universe.

There was more. But I'm sleepy, and drunk.

Maybe later. I hope.

2 comments:

Darq said...

Since when does "demanding" mean "problematic"?! Oh wait, some people have no professional integrity and/or can't handle criticism, so then other folks' high standards are considered "problematic". *seethes quietly*

Michał Oleszczyk said...

Story of my life. The cabdriver thing, I mean. Since I wasn't actually *born* here, I may be an even shittier Cracovian than you are a Varsovian, which makes each entry into a cab drive stresfull for me.

Recently, though, I devised a gimmick of my own: since there are numerous roadworks going on in the Kraków area, and I know where *these* are located, whatever inept answer I give to the initial inquiry about the preferred route, I follow it by an "expert" remark on how "they are taking forever to rebuild that Rondo Ofiar Katynia, don't they...?"; or: "Is the roadwork on Długa finished yet...?". Thus, even though the cabdriver might have thought for a second he was dealing with a sucker, my reputation is quickly reestablished. I don't know yet what I'll do when the roadworks will be over and done with, though...