Monday, December 14, 2009

Too steep to scale

My slow burn has finally sputtered out completely. It was an easy, gentle way to go. Like what they tell me freezing to death feels like, complete with that sensation of comfort and relief right before the end.

And when I woke up today it was snowing. Externalization complete.

I'm feeling quite good, almost giddy. I think the cold cleared the air or something, and my brain seems to work better as of late - though I still tend to get drowsy at the oddest hours.

I made it to season 4 of Angel. Good God, I don't like any of the characters anymore. And the whole Connor debacle was just beyond painful. The guy that plays him has the most annoying manchild face... he's playing Pete Campbell on Mad Men. Yeah. THAT one. Gunn was boring from the get-go, and they never really figured out anything specific for him to do, so he's just left to lumber around awkwardly, butchering every humorous line they feed him. Fred's twitchy and really blah. I heard Amy Acker was really good on this show, but I'm still waiting to see that. For a moment I thought at least the green demon guy was gone for good, but no. He had to make a return appearance.

And can we please take a moment to talk about Alexis Denisof being all dark and edgy and oozing manliness? The guy's name is Alexis, for crying outloud. He's the posterboy for pansy. That's why they hired him in the first place! He was comic relief on Buffy. Pitful, effete comic relief! Now they got him brandishing axes, playing S/M mindgames and having phone sex with evil lawyers. Worst of all - they had him grow a stubble. A stubble!

Cordelia was fun, but she went poof, so I'm left struggling with a truly terrifying concept - namely that my favorite character on Angel seems to be... Angel. Brrr. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

In better news, the Christmas episode of The Office is true genius, and it's written by Mindy Kaling (aka Kelly Kapoor), which sort of means that all is well with the world.

3 comments:

Girlupnorth said...

Amy Acker's turn to be good is towards the end of the 4th season - it doesn't last long, though. But THEN, at the end of 5th season... she goes absolutely awesome and in fact becomes one of my favourite characters in anything on tv ever.

I quite like Wesley, even though his ~*~darkness~*~ in season 4 is rather tiresome.

I'd say stay around for season 5 - it really gets better. Maybe it's because Whedon didn't have so much on his plate by then, and the (slight?) change in formula didn't hurt, either. (Of course, I watched the whole thing in about 3 weeks, so towards the end I might have been brainwashed...)

missorange said...

Everything about Connor plot and Connor himself was beyond the pale. But I remember the 5th season as the best of the whole series, better plots, more fooling around with the formula, more self-mocking and some unexpected hilarity in Angel/S... (you know who comes back, don;t you?) dynamic. It kinda make me sigh with relief: aah back to that confident and easy tone.

thirdperson said...

Ok, I'll soldier on then. The last episode I saw was actually really funny, but then rewinded it and it turns out it was written by Whedon himself, so... duh.